Chicago City Clerk Susana A. Mendoza waving during the 2011 Chicago Pride Parade.
Self-Employed, Freelance Editor and Journalist — Milwaukee (July 2012-present)
- Provided editorial and graphic design services for OnMilwaukee, Riverwest Currents, and Milwaukee Record
- Utilized computer systems to ensure children’s merchandise appeared on nameplate websites at the right time with the right sizes and images
- Managed images
- Wrote product descriptions
- Worked on keywords and bundling for products to drive revenue
- Previous position involved working with cosmetics and intimate apparel offices to create marketing strategies and ensure offers were properly placed in programs to drive sales revenue
- Assigned articles to staff writers
- Reviewed guest pieces submitted to the site
- Edited content by staff writers
- Authored articles on Chicago and Illinois politics
- Managed a staff of five writers and regular contributors and periodically added new writers
- Experience filing Freedom of Information requests with Cook County
- Wrote about budget cuts and layoffs at the Chicago Public Library
- Wrote a feature story on the Cook County Health and Hospital System
- Analyzed the Chicago city budget
- Interviewed people in Chicago and Cook County government and organizations
Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.. Bachelor of Arts in Journalism with a concentration in Public Affairs Reporting. Graduated May 2014.
- Expert at Wordpress, Movable Type, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, social media, HTML/CSS coding, social media use, and Audacity.
- Can speak and read Arabic and German, currently learning Spanish